Website Builder

St John The Baptist Fishpond History

The Church nestles under Lamberts Castle in an idyllic setting with wonderful views down the valley to Charmouth and the sea. It was built in 1854 with, it is believed, stone from a ruined church in the Marshwood vale (Mutton Street). The interior is quite simple but with a beautiful stained glass window, semi abstract in form, by Arthur E Buss, dated 1967.
Parish Magazine 1911

"Those of our parishioners who have not yet explored the neighbourhood of Lambert's Castle are advised to do so. The twentieth century is somewhat careless, we believe, both in preserving and appreciating the remains of the past; but the remains of the Castle in the Vale, and the large earthwork fortifications around Fishpond, are something of which any parish might well be proud. The Britons possessed no wagons sufficiently large enough to carry stone. 
Their own houses were of wood or wicker work, and so their fortresses would be entirely of earth. Sites were selected where the natural environment would facilitate the process of fortifying, and the neighbourhood of Fishpond shews with what care they selected their locality"

SHARE THIS PAGE!