https://mobirise.com/

Wootton Fitzpaine Church History

Wootton [or Wotton] Fitzpaine lies in the south west of the county, situated in the Marshwood Vale. To the west is Hawkchurch, Marshwood is to the north and to the east lies Symondsbury, Chideock and Catherston Lewiston, Charmouth and Lyme Regis to the south. A small branch of the River Char runs through the parish.
The church is located in the grounds of the beautiful C18 Wootton House, it has its origins in C13 and C15 although the north transept, vestry and major restoration are of 1872 by George H. Birch. Wootton Fitzpaine appears to be the only church this architect was responsible for in Dorset.


The pulpit is constructed from Jacobean panels and must be the longest in Dorset. The font has a scalloped stem and Sir Nikolaus Pevsner thought it might have been a Norman capital.The building is interesting for a number of reasons. The nave is probably what you might expect for a church serving such a small and scattered community, but the chancel, south aisle and north transept are very generous and one wonders where all the congregation came from. 

SHARE THIS PAGE!